The Great Valley Volunteer Fire Company was founded in 1948 at a meeting of community citizens exploring the possibility of setting up a “lighting district”. The original fire hall was built in 1949 with additions in 1964 and 1992. The first new truck was a 1952 GMC Young Pumper with a 500 a minute pump that the company still uses for special occasions.
In 1976, the Fire Company started a “Regatta” that has become one of the largest of its’ kind in the United States. For over 35 years thousands of people have braved the Great Valley Creek and been part of over 3,000 participants and 5,000+ spectators. Over the years the company has bought additional property to provide camping for our many spectators and competitors.
In 1983, the fire company added a large clubhouse (with seating for over 250 people) that is used today for weddings and special community events. The Ellicottville Ambulance expanded its’ operation into Great Valley in 1988 and soon became the Ellicottville/ Great Valley Ambulance Inc. serving both towns with superior service.
On March 25, 1995 the Fire Hall and all equipment was destroyed by fire. While the total loss was over $1,000,000, a new ten-bay Fire Hall was built and four new trucks were back in service by the end of August 1995. This remarkable “comeback” was a result of hard work and great community support!
In 1995 the Fire Company purchased the Old Great Valley School and in 1997 it became the site of the Great Valley Post Office. This has been a great location and a tremendous improvement over the old post office.
The Great Valley Vol. Fire Co. currently operates: two- 1250 gpm pumpers; 1250 gpm Fast Attack pumper; 1500 gal. tanker; a Rescue Truck and two ambulances out of the Depot Street Station. We are very proud of the men and women who give selflessly of their time, energy and talents to be active members of the Great Valley Volunteer Fire Company.